Sunday, March 8, 2009

American Idol's Season 8, Wild Card Results Show

Oh man! What a night. About 1/2 way through the performances, something popped into my head. I thought to myself that it wouldn't surprise me if they did a top 13 instead of a top 12. It was a fleeting thought and I didn't say anything to my husband, because I quickly dismissed it. Uhg! I should have said something because when they announced that they were going to do just that, I screamed, "I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!", thrusting my fist at the TV and kicking myself across the room. I hate when I figure something out that would impress my husband and then not say anything! LOL In case you didn't get to watch it, here is what happened:

The final FOUR chosen from the Wild Card night were the following: Jasmine Murray, Megan Corkrey, Matt Giraud and Anoop (Dog) Desai

Jasmine I could have lived without, if I'm to be honest. Jasmine sang Christina Aguilera's "Reflection". She is cute, she is talented and no doubt could do well in this competition, but I'm just not a fan. Perhaps it's because I'm a girl and girls like relationships. I know very little about her and have no connection to her as a person. I appreciate what she brings to the table, but that's about it. I am very attracted to humbleness and a relationship with our God. If I discern that in a person, it's all the better. (think Jason Castro from last season) I also like unique individuals which leads me to my next finalist chosen as a Wild Card....

...Megan Corkrey. Megan is so unique and cute. You gotta love her little quirks. What I was disappointed to see what that on this night, none of the judges made a comment about her vocals. She sang KT Tunstall's "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree". They all made comments about her quirkiness or how she looks, but nothing positive about her vocals. I'm actually surprised they put her through to the top 13.

Matt Giraud looked good that night, despite what Simon said (it was Simon that said that, wasn't it???). I disagreed with Simon when he told Matt that he saw Taylor Hicks in him. Wow, I saw Justin Timberlake. So Matt returned to the bluesy sound that won everyone over to begin with by singing Jackson 5's "Who's Loving You" (which I never heard....and I thought I have heard ALL of the Jackson 5 tunes!).

Anoop (Dog) Desai was the surprise #13 singing Bobby Brown's "My Perogative" (again, though the judges were okay with him doing it, just not Tatiana). I like him but I think they could have chosen someone else for the #13 spot. It's actually not surprising that they would put him through, as they really seemed to give over the top comments about his performances and how he did. They seemed crazy about him, which was out of proportion to what he did as a performer. I think Jesse Langseth would have been a better choice here, but hey, who am I? I suspect it's the ratings game -- again.

Speaking of those that didn't make it and Jesse Langseth, who should have....she performed Chaka Khan's "Tell Me Something Good" this evening. No, the performance wasn't all that and a bag of chips, but I still think she has more interesting things to offer than Anoop. (sorry buddy). She's so sassy and interesting. I think she would have been really interesting to watch. I'm really hoping that the AI people didn't pick Anoop because he was different....as in race. I have nothing against his race, if he can do the job and sell himself, but I wouldn't put it past AI to put him through so that they can appear to be more politically correct and all-encompassing. IDK. I really like him though. Just not an interesting enough singer for me.

Von Smith was a disappointment for me during his performance of Elton John's "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word". He started off pretty rough, with his lower vocals (can you tell I'm not a music person....I don't even know what it's called!) When the judges were criticizing him, I felt so bad. Actually, they weren't all that harsh, but he knew he was not going to make it and he looked as if he was going to cry. I hope someone in the music industry picks him up. He deserves another chance.

Ricky Braddy is one of those that has great vocals, but he does absolutely nothing for me. I think he looks MORE geeky since he got rid of his glasses. I liked his glasses. They were hip. They weren't duct taped, so I don't know what the big deal was and why he chose to get rid of them. So, his vocals during his performance of "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder was pretty darned good. He's not unique enough for me, or something....I just can't get into him, but the crowd sure could. I'm surprised they elimated him, which just proves that AI is fixed and manipulated and not as much of a reality show as we would like to think. Disappointing.

Tatiana Del Toro was up next and sang her heart out to Whitney Houston's "Saving All My Love" -- AGAIN. As much as her behaviour is unpredictable her song choice isn't. I think the judges and AI are really using her for the drama. It's pretty obvious, but I'm SO glad they chose not to keep her around any longer. I can't even look at her she is so disturbing to me. I'm embarrassed for her. Someone said that she will have a good career in acting. How true.

So there you have it folks. Jen's opinions on all things Idol. Fascinating, huh? :-D From here on out, when the urge hits me, I will comment on further shows. It may not be from every show, but I will blog about it.

Don't forget to subscribe to the blog, so you get up to date information on all things current! (see right side bar)

No comments: