Wednesday, March 18, 2009

American Idol's Season 8, Top 11 - Opry Week

Tonight's show theme is the Grand Ole Opry and our guest to help the Idols was Randy Travis. I was just telling someone that I am not a country fan, but I absolutely love Randy Travis's version of Open the Eyes of My Heart. I think I have it on one of my Wow CDs. Anyway, I digress...

Michael Sarver was up first. He sang the Garth Brooks song, "Ain't Goin' Down Until the Sun Comes Up". I sure hope that's the title, anyway! I think it was a fun song to hear him sing, since the lyrics were so difficult, but that was it. I don't think it made him unique enough, yet again, unfortunately. Simon didn't understand a word apparently and thought it was a bit clumsy. Michael got sassy with him saying that if we were all perfect, we wouldn't need this show. Oooooh! Simon was asked by Ryan what he'd rate the song from a 1-10. Simon said he'd give it a 1.2. Schmuck.

Allison Iraheta sang "Blame it on Your Heart" by Patty Loveless. Allison always gives an awesome performance that is unique and fun to watch. I have never heard this song (as I suspect will be the theme of the evening), but I liked Allison's version of it anyway. Randy commented that he doesn't think he's heard someone of Allison's age with such a mature voice. I agree. It's amazing. I keep forgetting she's only 16. Kara thinks that she "could sing the alphabet and sing it well". She loves how Allison is getting better every week. Paula said it was a "rock solid performance" and "brings a rock edge". She also told her to experiment with the songs more. Simon thought it was very good, but tuneless in parts. "Verging on precocious". Randy didn't think it was precocious, he thought it was DOPE! (whatever that means).

Kris Allen sang a Garth Brooks tune "To Make You Feel My Love". Randy says he's a strong ballad singer and was impressed how he made it his own. Paula was pleasantly surprised and said it was a vulnerable performance. Overall a smart choice. Simon thought it was terrific (wow!). He said it was a "great, great choice of song. Not over the top." He thinks that for the first time, he has a shot. (double wow!) Randy said there were "tender moments from my dog, Kris" Kara mentioned that it wasn't even Country, that it was "very Kris Allen". I agree. It was good. Well done vocals.

Lil Rounds tried to really work outside of her comfort zone and do a genuine country song. I give her "props" for that, as Kara and Randy would say. She sang the Martina McBride song "Independance Day". Randy Travis mentioned that "she's got some big pipes!". Simon, who couldn't get her name right and insisted on calling her "Little", (because after all, "Lil" is short for "Little", right? Doh!), said it felt and looked uncomfortable. I personally don't agree. Simon didn't like her song choice at all. Randy thought it was interesting and ambitious. Said, "It didn't feel comfortable for me on you." (boy he has a way with words) Kara said, "We all know you're a great singer. We would have to be deaf." and "I give you props for doing this song". Paula said the vocals were spot-on and that she would have done better if she didn't sing 2 verses. Then an argument ensued between Paula and Simon....one of many for the night. I thought the vocals were great. I saw another side of Lil that impressed me even thought it's not her thing. I think she did better than they gave her credit for.

Adam Lambert, our ever-famous unique guy. I don't even know what to call him. A rocker? An Emo dude? What? Anyway, Adam sang "Ring of Fire" -- a Johnny Cash song, though you'd NEVER know it in a million years. Wow. Randy Travis had this to say: "I don't even know what to say about this song". I think it was just so totally different from the way it was intended to sound, he was speechless. Adam totally made it his own, if you haven't figured that out by what I've said so far! Kara said, "I didn't know what to make of it. It was strange, but I liked it. Left me confused and sorta happy." Well that about summed it up for me as well! Paula's comments were that it stood out and was true to who he is as an artist. "Great song choice. We are going to expect more and more out of you" rounded out her comments to the unique Adam. Simon said that he thinks Randy (Travis) was trying to say, "What the hell was that?". Simon thought it was "absolute, indulgent rubbish". "Horrific". Well Simon, I don't agree. Randy mentioned that it was like Nine Inch Nails doing a country song. "It was current. It was HOT!" Now that's what I'm talking about. As I said in previous blogs, his style is not my thing, but I sure do appreciate his talent.

Scott MacIntyre sang another song I have never heard of called Wild Angels by Martina McBride. Randy Travis said he was "surprised by Scott and didn't think it was a good choice at first". I personally like him. His vocals are great but it just wasn't anything spectacular and I think that is what we need to see in Scott in order for him to continue on in this competition. He can't skate through much longer on what he's been doing. Randy said he's looking for "hot, crazy vocals" and that Scott needs to stand out. (Isn't that what I've been saying? Listen up Randy!) Kara said that he needs to "up your game a little". "Wow us. That's what we're all saying. You bring class and poise." Paula's comments were getting harder to understand as the night went on. I wonder what was in that Coke glass in front of her. (hmmm?) She said that tonight was another impressive performance. She said that the piano may be a bit of a crutch that we need to see more of a showman. She also said something about it needing to be mixed up a bit, but I think she's the mixed-up one. It didn't make sense to me. Simon said that he doesn't agree with Paula and that Scott shouldn't leave the piano at all because that's who he is and what he's good at.

Alexis Grace: Jolene by Dolly Parton. Randy Travis thinks it is a great song and that Dolly will be proud when she hears it. I think it was well-done, but then again, I'm an Alexis Grace fan. Randy Jackson said there were pitch problems and didn't think it was a great performance (boooo!). Kara said that Alexis lost her edge a bit and that it was a little flat for her. Paula thinks "it's more effective for you than the others think for you". She enjoyed the soft and vulnerable side. Simon thought it was okay, but a little bit "sound-alike", to which Alexis asked for clarification. Simon said that meant that she sounded too much like the original artist. He also stated that the vocals were okay and forgettable.

Danny Gokey sang a Carrie Underwood song, "Jesus Take the Wheel". Okay, so I know this one! Randy Travis said that he needed to get almost 100% on his performance. I think he didn't care for Danny's rendition much. I was surprised by Danny's nervousness with Randy T. I noticed, too, that Danny had on yet another pair of glasses. Does he have like 20 of them, or what? Not complaining...just noticing. I thought he gave his own "Danny spin" to the song and I liked his vocals, as always. Kara said, "When you hit your strides, it's like none other. The first 1/2 wasn't spectacular. Randy J. agrees with Kara and adds that he needs to support his verses. (I don't know what that means) He also stated that some were a little pitchy. Paula thinks he was brilliant. She said, "I think Carrie Underwood would not only approve, she'd go out and buy the record." Wow. Simon said that his only problem is what he was wearing. They all went on to make comments about his puffy jacket for a few moments.

Anoop "dog" Desai sang "You're Always On My Mind" by Willie Nelson. I have to admit that I was groaning inward when I heard that was the song he was going to sing. His reputation for picking the wrong song made it hard to like the idea of him singing this song. However......It was surprisingly great! I was really impressed, as were the judges. Randy Travis said that he had doubts about how Anoop was going to get Willie's version out of his mind but that went out the window when he "heard him sing the first line". Me too! I was really impressed by his vocals. None of us expected this performance. I'm not sure it will be enough to keep him, but we'll have to wait and see! Randy said this is the reason we wanted Anoop here. He liked the arrangement and said it was DOPE! (again, whatever that means) Kara said it was amazing and the biggest surprise of the night. Paula said, "Anoop is back!". She said she was proud of him for the song choice. "The glove fit this week. It was tender, honest. Amazing sweet vocals." Simon said Anoop "managed to go from zero to hero". He said he made a good choice of song and that in a way it was the favorite song of the evening. He also said that he takes back last week's advice. "Glad to have you back".

Megan Joy (previously known as Megan Corkrey). Someone must've suggested she drop the last name. It suits her well. Megan sang a Patsy Cline song, "I Go Walking After Midnight". I think she did a great job keeping to her uniqueness. It was totally "Megan Joy", that's for sure. I loved her outfit a lot too. Randy Travis thought it was "totally unique" and she did a "good job". He also said she "nails every vocal" and "you have to like it". Megan had a major case of the flu this week and you would have never known it if she didn't begin coughing at the end of her performance. She looked miserable by the end of the night. Randy J. thought it was going to be a trainwreck, but was impressed. It's funny, because my husband said the very same thing just moments before Randy. Kara said it was the perfect song. Paula told us about how what we didn't know was that Megan had the flu and was in and out of the hospital. Simon said that she was better this week than last. He called her gorgeous but thinks that the person dressing her is taking away too much of her quirkiness that they love.

We ended the evening with Matt Giraud singing "So Small" by Carrie Underwood. Randy Travis said he wasn't sure it was a smart choice, but liked it after he heard the "soulfulness". "People will love it". Matt played the piano again, which I think is a good thing. It was soulful and bluesy, which I LOVE. His vocals and performance were very good. Randy J. said, "For me, favorite vocals tonight". "You got it on baby". kara said that "there ain't nothin' small about you!" Paula applauds his authenticity and Simon said he didn't think that Matt has had enough credit for his vocals. He thinks his voice is very similar to Danny Gokey (which is what I was thinking as well). "One of the best tonight", according to Simon.

Well, that wraps up the commentary and performances for the evening. We'll have to see who makes it through tonight. My prediction: Michael Sarver will get the boot. I originally thought it would be Anoop, but I think he redeemed himself this time with his awesome vocals and surprisingly good song choice.

No comments: