Thursday, March 5, 2009

American Idol's Season 8, Top 36 - Group 3

I was just saying last night that people who are unique or strong singers are more apt to be recognized right away and get a record deal, even at this stage of the game. For example, Adam Lambert from last week's show is recognizable. If he had not gotten through to the top 12 for some reason, I would have been okay with that, because I know that he would be noticed by the record companies by now. I am interested in seeing the underdog (s) get their chance to shine, week after week. Get recognized and perhaps succeed. I'm kinda tired of only the ones who have a ton of experience and especially past record deals getting through. They had their chance. Let someone else try. As much as I liked Nick Mitchell (aka Norman Gentle), he is now someone who has been seen and heard and he is definitely recognizable, even if you haven't really been paying all that much attention to AI this year.

Another observation of mine, in case you're interested: the third group has a distinct advantage over the first two for several reasons. One, they have more time to figure out what they are going to sing, and practice their music. They also have the advantage of hearing the criticisms of the judges and still have time to change from their previously boring song to one that will hit a chord with Randy (WHAT??), Kara (I-want-to-know-who-you-are), Pauler and Siiiimon.

So, we started off the night with the adorable Von Smith. Except for his hair, I love him. He reminds me a bit of Rick Astley. Rick, I mean Von, sang Marvin Gaye's "You're All I Need to Get By".

Taylor Vaifanua sang Alicia Keys' "If I Ain't Got You". My opinion? Forgettable.

Alex Wagner-Trugman is the resident geek. Okay, so he's really sweet and stuff and I wish him well, but he certainly doesn't have the package thing they are looking for. Perhaps they are thinking he may be another Clay Aiken, who I understand is or was pretty geeky. I didn't watch that year's American Idol, so I'm not sure. Alex sang an Elton John tune, "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues". It's my opinion that he just tried too hard. He added an affect to his voice that just didn't do anything for me.

Ariana Afsar was next with her version of ABBA's "The Winner Takes It All". I felt really bad for her. She is so freakin' cute and has a beautiful voice, but really botched this one bad. Now, again, I'm no expert on "pitchy-ness" and vocal ability, but I kept thinking throughout the song, "Is it supposed to sound like this?". I know there are songs out there that sound weird to me and they are supposed to be "good", but I wasn't sure about this one. The way the judges were commenting, apparently it wasn't just me. Sorry Ariana. I really liked you.

Ju'Not Joyner was next with his rendition of the Plain White T's "Hey There Delilah" and I thought he did an awesome job! He mixed it up nicely and I hope he gets noticed by a record label.

Kristen McNamara is so darned cute and I like her and all, but she really doesn't have a style to call her own. She sang Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Reason", which I love, but it was not remarkable.

Nathaniel Marshall sang a Meatloaf song, of all things. "I Would Do Anything For Love" was okay. It had no personality, despite the interesting look of Nate. His headband style has got to go. In some ways I like him, but his performance left a lot to be desired.

Felicia Barton sang Alicia Keys' "No One". If you recall, Felicia didn't originally make the top 36, which is a mystery to me. She has good vocals, so what gives? She was called up to replace Joana Pacitti, who I can't recall the reason for her demise on the show. Felicia did a great job with the song even if it was a bit "copy cat" according to Simon.

Scott MacIntyre is someone who I think may just be my "Jason Castro" replacement for this year. Anyone who knows me knows how enamoured I was with Jason last season. (okay, that's an understatement) For me it was the whole person, or the "whole package" as the judges like to say. Scott has a good voice and I love him as a person. He is sweet, humble and dare I say cute in his own way? I think if they do some current styling with his hair, he'd be even cuter. Heck, they were able to transform David Cook's geeky hair-do, I'm sure they can do something for Scott as well. Anyway, Scott sang Bruce Hornsbys' "Mandolin Rain". I love his passion and agree with the judges when they say that he feels the song and his passion comes through it. I think that's important in a performer.

Kendall Beard in her sunny yellow dress sang Martina McBride's "This One's For the Girls". She's definitely a country singer and even though I'm not a huge fan of country music, I really like her. I think she has good vocals and she is cute. The Whole Package? Perhaps.

Jorge Nunez was next with his slightly accented version of "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" by Elton John and it was pretty good. I don't think I would like him as an artist, but he definitely has a cute personality! The spanish he blurts out cuz that's all he has in his head, is so endearing.

The final spot this evening was by Lil Rounds. What a unique name! I think that alone completes the "whole package" and will get her far. Okay, she has great vocals as well, but heck, who can forget her name? Lil sang "Be Without You" by Mary J. Blige.

Here are the finalists that made it through: Scott MacIntyre, Jorge Nunez and Lil Rounds.

Competing in the Wild Card Show, airing Thursday night are: Von Smith, Jasmine Murray, Ricky Braddy, Megan Corkrey, Tatiana Del Toro (eegads!), Matt Giraud, Jesse Langseth, and Anoop Desai.

I'm very happy to see Megan Corkrey, Matt Giraud and Jesse Langseth get a second chance. Actually, I'd like to see what Von Smith can pull off too. I HATE that they asked Tatiana to come back. Uhg! I can't stand her and I guess that the drama is what they are looking for. Yuck. I really can't stand her fake laugh and her fake crying and her fake everything. She's such a fake and a flake. Can you tell I don't like her? Have mercy on us and don't call in a vote for her. Ever.

Stay tuned for my final thoughts from tonight's Wild Card show.


No comments: