Thursday, March 12, 2009

American Idol's Season 8, Top 13



You read that right! It's no longer the top 12, but the top 13. If you have read anything on AI or saw any of the recent shows, you would probably know that, but I thought I'd let you in on that big little secret anyway.

Here is my assessment of Tuesday night's Michael Jackson themed show, for what it's worth:

Lil Rounds started the evening out singing "The Way You Make Me Feel". She did a great job, though I am not a huge fan. Though she has talent, and that's obvious, she does nothing for me. I can't imagine getting an album by her when all is said and done, unless she picks a style that piques my interest. For the record, I really like jazzy, bluesy styles. We'll have to wait and see. I think she'll be around for a while.

Scott MacIntyre was up next on his piano singing "Keep The Faith", a not-so-common song of Michael Jackson's. I'm so glad to see him behind a piano, where he's most comfortable. I don't know what his style will be yet, but I like him so much, I would get his album anyway. I think his performance was awesome, but the song forgettable, if I am to be honest.

Danny Gokey was third with "PYT" (Pretty Young Thing). The girls love him, no doubt. He is cute and I like that he was raised in a Christian home. They didn't say it in his interview about learning with music, but it made me wonder if he was homeschooled. I'd be curious to find out. Of course Danny did a great job and he's getting better with his stage presence and dance movements each time he performs.

Michael Sarver was next with "You Are Not Alone". I think he did well, but not great. It was forgettable. I didn't agree with Randy's rave review that he was one of the best so far this evening. His vocals were off a bit and even I could tell. I think they were generous with Michael.

Jasmine Murray sang "I'll Be There". Jasmine is a sweet young lady with a lot of talent. I don't think she will make it through, but she has a lot of years ahead of her and she is so cute. She has been noticed, I'm sure. The judges weren't overwhelmingly generous with their compliments to her after this song. In fact, I'd venture to say they were a harder on her than they had to be.

Kris Allen graced us with his guitar and his rendition of "Do You Remember the Time" that Randy says is very Jason Mraz-y (or was that Mraz-ish?). The guitar seemed to be more of a prop than an instrument. But hey, he looked good, right?

Allison Iraheta, the group's "Heart-like" rocker, really rocked out the song "Give In To Me". I don't remember much, but I know I liked it, even if it's too rock-ish for my taste. She's cute and intriguing, especially for a 16 year old.

Anoop "Dog" Desai sang "Beat It" and I have to say, I didn't like it at all. The judges were rough on him too, which I think was unnecessary. I don't know what I would have said to Anoop but I now know why the judges use the term "karaoke".

Jorge Nunez, the cutest Purto Rican I know (personality included). He sang a very dull "Never Can Say Goodbye", which I loved when the Jackson 5 sang it. I mean, I really liked his performance of it, but I think it was dull still. How can that be? IDK! The judges didn't like it, except for Paula, who feels he just chose the wrong song.

Megan Corkrey, my favorite quirky girl. She sang "Rockin' Robin" by the Jackson 5 and I thought it suited her perfectly. I totally disagreed with Simon, who just ragged on her for her song choice. (what's new?) It was cute, she was cute....the whole thing....just cute.

There is no doubt that Adam Lambert can work a stage. He sang "Black or White". The crowd loved him and he really rocked it out, as Randy would say. It is my opinion that it started a bit rough, but got so much better that even the judges didn't remember the first part. It's clear that he is one of the judges favorites. He definitely is intriguing and I can't wait to see what else he does.

Matt Giraud performed "Human Nature" on the piano. I think it was fabulous!! He's a natural and I can see him as an artist with an album already.

Alexis Grace performed "Dirty Diana" with some jerky movements that made me want to watch, weirdly enough. I liked her performance - a lot. She's definitely one to watch. I can't wait to see what she does next week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, the next day we get the run-down on how the new rule of the judges "save" works. In previous years, the judges were bummed to see some of their favs leave earlier than they should have, for whatever reasons. The "save" option allows them to keep that person another week, even if they were voted off. This would also have to be a unanimous vote among the four judges. This could have benefited Michael Johns of last season, when he was unexpectedly voted out. Now, that person who is "saved" could get kicked off the next week of course, as there are now two who will leave in that that situation. It could also be someone else, after proving their worth one more time. That's the idea, anyway.

This time, the two who were voted off were Jasmine Murray and Jorge Nunez. The judges didn't decide to use their "save" on either one of them. I agreed with Jasmine being voted out, but I think it should have been Anoop that went before Jorge. That, I am surprised by. Heck, it may have only been one more week for Jorge to be there, but it could have given him more time to show what he's got. I think Anoop, as much as I like the guy, had a lot of chances, and he seems to be blowing every one of them.

This evening we heard Kanye West Heartless and Kelly Clarkson perform My Life Would Suck Without You. I didn't care for Kanye's song too much. Kelly's was okay. Apparently everyone and their brother has heard Kelly's song except for me. I'm still waiting for Jason Castro to perform his new single, as AI was supposed to have last week. They took him out last Wednesday due to time restraints when they changed the format at the last minute. Uhhhg!

Next week's theme is Grand Ole Opry.

No comments: