Wednesday, March 18, 2009

American Idol's Season 8, Keeping the Faith





I was just reading an article, American Idol Keeps the Faith, sent to me by a newsletter I receive called Breaking Christian News. It highlighted an article about this year's season on American Idol which I found interesting. According to the article, this year's Idol contestants with a background of church performances make up a significant portion of the remaining 11. More than half, so it says. Danny Gokey is a no-brainer, since he has spoken often of his faith and that he is the music minister in his church. Three of the 6 have worked as music ministers, in fact. The article isn't really clear about who all 6 are, but I thought it was fascinating none-the-less.

I noticed that Idol seems to have a lot of Christian contestants, which is a big reason I keep coming back despite the antics of the judges and their overbearing producers. Season six had Phil Stacey, Melinda Doolittle, Jordin Sparks and Chris Sligh, at the very least and that was just out of the top 12. Last season's Idol performers were chock full of Christians as well. David Archuletta, Brooke White, Syesha Mercado, Chikezie, Kristy Lee Cook and my all-time favorite, Jason Castro. Some were "stronger" and more outspoken Christians than others, but I think this is significant. I loved discovering what the personal beliefs of each one are as the season goes on and I look forward to this season as well. The article on Breaking Christian News surprised me because I didn't really know too many of them and I didn't think there were as many as 6 out of the final 11 professing to be Christians. I wish they would have listed them all, but time will tell. Make sure you read the full article here!

No comments: