Wednesday, April 15, 2009

American Idol's Season 8, Top 7 Results Show



I have not blogged the past two weeks about Idol. Life just got in the way. Sorry about that! This week, I have watched both the performance night and the results show and I'm here to tell you what I think! Aren'tcha glad???

My notes! My notes! Where are my notes!?


Quentin Tarantino was the guest mentor, even though he has no musical background. This, I found to be very interesting and looked forward to seeing what he would say. I wasn't so sure about some of the advice he gave, as I suspect some of the contestants weren't either, but it was interesting.

Idol just keeps getting weirder and weirder. This time, due to the show
running over last week, they are only going to allow two judges to speak, giving the people not being judged by Simon an advantage (I would think).

Allison sang first. She sang "I Don't Want to Miss a Thin
g" by Aerosmith, from the Armageddon soundtrack. Paula and Simon critiqued the first performance and they both liked it. Simon told Allison that she was the "girls' only hope". Personally, I didn't care for it.

Anoop sang a Bryan Adams song, "Everything I Do, I Do For You". I thought the vocals were excellent, though I have to be honest, I'm not so crazy
about Anoop. I like him okay on a personal level, what I can see, but he just seems boring. Randy thought it would be really rough, but thinks he's found his zone. "Dude, I think you did a really good job. Congrats." Kara thought it was one of his best vocals. She said she felt connected to his singing.

Adam sang the Steppenwolf song "Born To Be WIld" from the film "Easy Rider". As always, Adam rocked it out!!! Wow, what a performance. You can't not like him. Okay, at least his talent. I don't always care for his song choices, but he knows what to do with it when he gets a hold of a song. I sure do appreciate his talent and vocals. The crowd went wild! Paula said "You dare to dance in the path of greatness". "One of the greatest contestants I've ever witnessed". Simon said "Adam, you need to learn to express yourself better". Everyone laughed. He did say that the song/performance reminded him of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Matt Giraud sang the Bryan Adams song "To Really Love a Woman", from Don Juan DeMarco. I have never seen the film, but I really love that song! His performance was okay in my opinion. I love Matt more and more each week, but between this performance and the growth on his forehead, it's getting to me. Randy said his performance was okay. He commented that it was pitchy at the bridge and that it wasn't one of his best. Kara said that she appreciated the changes bu
t that it took away some of the core qualities that makes it a great song.

Danny sang "Endless Love" by Lionel Ritchie from the film "Enless Love". Danny said in his interview before the performance that he bought a guitar and has never played before. I was thinking that he was going to do a Jason Castro and buy an inst
rument, learn it and use it in the same week (ukelele for Somewhere Over The Rainbow). Danny didn't. He said he bought it for the travel they will be doing over the summer for the tour, so he doesn't get bored on the bus. Danny's performance was sans glasses. Paula's comments were that she wasn't sure that the key shouldn't have been lowered. "But you pulled it together. A beautiful rendition." Simon said, "We know week on week that you're a brilliant singer." He was disappointed that he didn't do more to change it from the original version. Simon notes that he could tell that it meant something to Danny, so he congratulates him for that.

Kris sang "Falling Slowly" from the movie Once. He left the guitar an
d did a great job. I don't really notice Kris all that much, but really appreciated the way he performed that song, which I have never heard before. He seemed very emotionally connected to the song. Randy said "It never quite caught on." "It was pitchy from note one". Kara wholeheartedly disagreed (as did I) and said, "One of your best moments".


Lil Rounds sang "The Rose" by Bette Midler. I love Bette, but couldn't have thought of a song further from what I would have Lil perform. Midway through the song, Lil gave it a gospel sound that I enjoyed (my husband did not). I thought that the small changes she made to the beginning and the end would have made the middle part sound better if she had kept the beginning and end original. More of a contrast, I think. Anyway, Paula spoke, but said very little about the actual performance. I actually have no clue what she thought of the song. There were a lot of compliments, but I don't think they were referring to the song and her performance. Simon had this to say: "The song is too soft". "You're not the artist we met originally". He thinks Lil is getting it completely wrong.

Hmmm. Well, after the performance night last night, I was really looking forward to the results show tonight. Not sure who will go home. I know who I would like to see stay, but.....

Tonight Anoop got sent over to the bottom three chairs on the left side of the stage. Jennifer Hudson sang (it was beautiful) and Miley Cyrus sang as well.
She was pretty darned good too. I like that girl. A lot of confidence, but not haughty and full of herself. Lil Rounds got sent to the bottom three chairs as well. That didn't surprise me. What did surprise me was that Matt Giraud got sent there too. Right away Ryan said he was going to send one of them back to the sofa, where they would be safe. Surprisingly, Anoop was sent back. Drum roll please....... Matt was voted off. I was surprised. So, he sang again. It was without the piano, and I thought a bit better than last night, vocally. The judges talked, the girls (Paula and Kara) danced and we got a decision. They are going to keep him. Matt wept, the Idols hugged him with joy and then there was Simon with the buzzkill. You know, could you wait two full minutes of joy before ruining it??? He says that there are two pieces of bad news and not to congratulate Matt too much. Why? Oh, because number one, two people will be voted off next week and number two, it's disco week. HA! Pretty funny. I hate disco.

See you next week!

No comments: