Wednesday, April 29, 2009

American Idol's Season 8, Rat Pack Standards, top 5



Tonight's Mystery Mentor is...........Jamie Foxx!

I wasn't quite sure this would be a good mentor for this theme, but I enjoyed him. He even said that he was surprised at how well he liked AI's Top 5.

Kris Allen started off the night (and I hope not to his detriment) with The Way You Look Tonight, a Frank Sinatra tune. Jamie Foxx just loved him. He even said that he'd like to work with him on a song (or was that an album?). Can't recall for sure. Personally, I thought Kris showed a different side of him with this performance.

Randy: "Looking to see who's in it to win it." "This is your best performance to date."

Kara: "Tonight you have set the technical standard so high." "You are truly a dark horse in this competition."

Paula: "Contemporary crooner"

Simon: "It was a little bit wet" (whaaaat?) "I didn't think it was incredible." "It was good." (a few mixed messages, huh Simon?)

Allison Iraheta turned 17 on the 27th. She sang Someone To Watch Over Me, by Ella Fitzgerald and Jamie thought it was "incredible". I thought her vocals were GREAT! I love her. Sounded a bit like Norah Jones in some parts.

Randy: "You sing like Pink but with 9,000 more octaves. I loved it"

Kara: "I ain't nervous for you any more!" "You are not a one-trick pony. Just a rock chick!"

Paula: "I have b
een waiting so long to hear how you'd do a ballad" "I'm really proud of you"

Simon: "Do you think you can win the competition at this stage?" Simon commented that he doesn't think she has the confidence or believes that she can do it. "A great performance." "I have a horrible feeling you could be in trouble tonight."

Matt Giraud loves jazz and chose to sing My Funny Valentine sung by both Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald. Jamie said "It's a big song. If he changes the key and sings in his full voice, he might nab #1". I'm personally thinking he could have done a jazzier, more up-tempo tune. It was great vocally though.

Randy: "Probably one of the hardest songs ever" "A little pitchy" "Didn't quite come together"

Kara: "I didn't feel you were emotionally connected to it".

Paula: "Pure, simple and really impressive"

Simon: "I'm going to have to disagree with -----------------Randy." (wow!) "Nat King Cole type o
f phrasing"

Danny Gokey gave the song Come Rain or Come Shine, another Sinatra tune, a bluesy feel. Jamie Foxx "got all up in his grill" and it was funny to see. He was kinda shocked that Danny sang better when he got into Danny's personal space -- really close! Uhhh! I just love that gruff voice he does! I mean, divorce-my-husband-and-abandon-my-kids kind of love. Okay, not that serious, but it's serious enough! ;-) Excuse my next statement, but that voice just hits my audio G-spot! Wow.

Randy: "You are the only one I heard so far tonight who could have an album"

Kara: "The end of that performance was the most creative"

Paula: "Stellar performance"

Simon: "A swagger and confidence" "What Jamie's brought out, particularly in you tonight, is incredible"

Wow, they liked it too!

Adam, dear Adam. You know no matter what he does, it's going to be good. Always entertaining, but good too. Adam sang Muse's version of Feeling Good, first brought on the scene by Sammy Davis Jr. Jamie said, "The way he's singing the song right now, he's gonna knock everyone's head off". OK. Is that a good thing??? :-) I thought it was an amazing performance, like always. It had a rock edge to it. Wow.

Randy: "I'm sounding like a broken record" "You're in the zone consistently. A little theatrical. A little too drama-filled."

Kara: Regarding the song choice she tells us she was thinking, "Is he really doing that?" "I like you" "You're shocking. In a good way." "Craziness". (she loves him)

Paula: "Words cannot describe......" "You make me feel better than good"

Simon: "I love Randy talking about you being theatrical. It's like complaining that a cow moos." "Winning is important. You want to win. That's why I like your showmanship."

Until tomorrow America!




No comments: