Thursday, December 25, 2008

The most difficult job in the world

You know, I am sitting here on Christmas night and I was listening to one of the best songs ever....Love Song For A Savior by Third Day.



While listening, my day-long melancholy mood turned to tears. Why? Because I realize that my pain from being a mom is nothing compared to what Jesus gave me. Today is Christmas, the day we celebrate the birth of our Savior and I'm feeling sorry for myself because one of my kids makes me insane with his negative moods, self-centeredness, and unappreciative attitude.

This mom thing, when I heard all my life how it's the hardest job ever, I really didn't appreciate that until recently. I mean, no one told me that I would struggle with an extremely strong-willed child with many issues. No one told me that my sweet, compliant, mature young boy would grow up to be moody, disrespectful and negligent of other people's feelings. I didn't really think those that said it was a difficult "job" being a mom really knew what the heck they were talking about. After all, my boy was so good and sweet and never lied. He still doesn't, but what does he do instead? He tells you the truth --- about EVERYTHING! Stuff I don't want to know! Like, how he's disappointed in what he didn't get, even though we scrimped to get him something I knew he would just love (and he does still), but it's not enough. I want to send him away to a third-world country for a few months so he can appreciate what he has. Uhg!

Good news is, my previously difficult daughter has been sweet as honey and very much appreciates what she has, even though Christmas time is difficult for her.

Don't get me wrong. I love my kids, but I feel I've lost the fight. Perhaps I'm just having a little pity party all for me. Perhaps it's finally menopause. Who knows. The point is, I am owning up to the fact that though I complain about my son's melancholy-ness, it's me who is struggling with the self-centered melancholy-ness today. Today, of all days. What am I thinking????

Lord God, forgive me for my self-centered behaviour and for not looking to You first. Help me to focus on You and only You. Help me to know the right thing to do regarding both of my kids. Thank you for giving us Your Son on this day, 2000 years ago. Thank you for loving us and drawing me near to you continuously, through my life's trials. I need that perspective, even when it pains me.

In Jesus' precious name, AMEN!!! :-D

No comments: